Fish Species Determination and Fish Safety Testing
With the increased attention of consumers towards food and health, the popularity of fish, seafood and other products of marine origin such as algae is growing steadily. While the production of fish and seafood from wild catches has remained rather constant, the increasing fish demand is mainly covered by growth in aquaculture resulting in the fact that aquaculture is the fastest growing animal food-producing sector (FAO 2013). Limited availability of certain fish species may lead to substitution with other potentially less valuable fish species as published recently by Oceana.
Eurofins comprehensive portfolio of analytical tests does not only cover innovative DNA-based fish species determination but also all parameters to ensure the overall quality and safety of fish and aquacultural products.
Our testing portfolio for fish and aquaculture at a glance:
- Fish Species Determination by DNA sequencing
- Veterinary Drug Residue Testing from single substance testing to comprehensive screening methods for about 200 veterinary drug residues
- Organic and Inorganic Contaminants, e.g. heavy metals and elements, PAH, dioxins, radioactivity, mycotoxins
- Organic Residues, e.g. migration tests and pesticides
- General Microbiological Analysis, e.g. aerobic and anaerobic bioburden, confirmation of best before dates
- Detection of Pathogenic Germs, e.g. EHEC, Salmonella spp., L. monocytogenes, Campylobacter
- Chemical and Physical Testing, e.g. water content, nutrients, vitamins, trace elements, carbohydrates, protein, food additives
- Quality parameters, e.g. total volatile basic nitrogen (TVBN), histamine
- Sensory testing
Through our network we are able to provide the largest testing capacity (over a thousand samples per day) and shortest turn-around-time (same-day rush service possible) of any independent food testing service provider.
The Eurofins Advantage
- Eurofins laboratory is accredited, certified & recognized by BIS, NABL, FSSAI and APEDA
- Competence Centres with state-of-the-art equipment such as high-resolution GC, HPLCs, GCMSMS, FTIR, ELISA, HR-MS, GC-MS, HPLC, LC-MS/MS, ICP-MS, Real-time PCR and NMR systems
- Fast turn-around time (TAT)
- Local contact with a Global Network
- Participation in industry associations and regulatory bodies allowing early advice on potential food scares and legal obligations
- Expert advice - testing schemes, on-site-check for hygiene and allergens, labelling advice and traceability
- Results you can rely on
- International presence