Determination of food authenticity and origin (traceability)
Eurofins is the world leader in food and feed authenticity testing. The Company was actually founded 20 years ago to market the related authenticity-testing method, the patented SNIF-NMR®-technology.
Eurofins' analytical offer for authenticity testing
Authenticity analyses are "made-to-measure" for each product and include basic methods and specific tests, selected to check for likely adulteration practises.
Eurofins' specific expertise is in the use ofisotopic techniquesand in particular a method of reference in authentication: SNIF-NMR® ( Site Specific Natural Isotope Fractionation Studied by Nuclear Magnetic Resonance ). This is one of the most powerful techniques for detecting the adulteration of natural products.
Eurofins also carries outmolecular biologytechniques and a large number of classicphysical, chemical and biological methods: liquid or gas chromatography, spectroscopy (atomic absorption, ultraviolet) and has a very wide range of analytical tools to control product authenticity.
Fraud is becoming more and more sophisticated and increasingly difficult to detect by basic analyses since it is often designed to get round the tests in use. It is therefore necessary to resort to advanced analytical techniques to detect the non-compliant products. A considerable investment in research and development enables Eurofins to apply the most suitable methods to each specific case when evaluating the authenticity of a product.
Eurofins also offers the possibility of setting up a targeted analytical approach and specific data banks to help protect producers from fraudulent imitations of their products or false declarations of geographic origin, notably in the case of PDO (Protected Denomination of Origin) certification.
Our particular expertise:
- fruit juice and derived products, honey, maple syrup: detection of addition of sugar, water, colourings, aromas or other undeclared additives, determination of fruit content;
- wines, ciders: detection of chaptalisation, sugaring, dilution or addition of glycerol, checking the process used in sparkling products, conformity to the isotopic profile;
- spirits, beers: control of the botanical origin of the alcohol, detection of addition of water, sugars or flavours (according to current regulations and/or product specifications);
- flavours: checking whether a flavour is natural (vanilla, aniseed, bitter almond, cinnamon, linalool, etc.);
- caffeine: checking for natural or synthetic sources in tea, coffee or guarana-containing drinks;
- meat products: confirmation of animal species;
- fish: confirmation of species and of origin (wild farmed);
- dairy products: confirmation of the main feed used (grass or maize silage), detection of the addition of lipids, lactose or casein, check flavourings (e.g. fruit, vanilla);
- cereals: confirmation of variety;
- basmati rice: quantification of the amount of basmati present in rice.
The Eurofins Advantage
- Eurofins laboratory is accredited, certified & recognized by BIS, NABL, FSSAI and APEDA
- Competence Centres with state-of-the-art equipment such as high-resolution GC, HPLCs, GCMSMS, FTIR, ELISA, HR-MS, GC-MS, HPLC, LC-MS/MS, ICP-MS, Real-time PCR and NMR systems
- Fast turn-around time (TAT)
- Local contact with a Global Network
- Participation in industry associations and regulatory bodies allowing early advice on potential food scares and legal obligations
- Expert advice - testing schemes, on-site-check for hygiene and allergens, labelling advice and traceability
- Results you can rely on
- International presence