Adulteration and authenticity of meat products have been making the headlines with horse and pig meat found in UK and Irish beef products and now in several other countries. The EU Commission initiated an EU-wide program of control measures including random control of processed beef products for foreign DNA as well as analysis of residues of the veterinary drug phenylbutazone ("bute"). Horses that have been treated with the drug phenylbutazone are not allowed to enter the food chain.
Eurofins has been pioneering DNA-based analytical technologies for meat testing using innovative protocols to improve the safety and authenticity of our clients' food products for over 10 years. For more information, please refer to our latest press release on the topic.
Eurofins offers several accredited specialist services for meat species testing:
- Semi-quantitative DNA species testing by means of Real-Time PCR, and confirmation by DNA sequencing
- 1% Threshold Testing according to the method published by the European Union Reference Laboratory for Animal Proteins (EURL-AP) in feedingstuffs
- Qualitative DNA species testing by means of Real-Time PCR
- ELISA tests - screening test that may not be suitable for all matrices and processing levels
The selective and sensitive detection of phenylbutazone is achieved using Tandem-LC-MS. This is just one of the many Veterinary Drug Residues and hormones Eurofins is able to test for in its Competence Centre for Veterinary Drug Residue testing. Eurofins also provides a large spectrum of general meat tests.
Eurofins is currently the only international laboratory network capable of performing all ISO 17025 accredited DNA detection of both horsemeat and of phenylbutazone, and potential presence of many other species and a comprehensive range of veterinary drugs and contaminants.
Eurofins molecular biology offer includes also fish species determination and Eurofins TAG™ - a traceability system that allows the tracing of meat back to an individual animal. Eurofins TAG™ is a simple and low-cost method that has proven its effectiveness in a large trial involving over 14,000 animals.
Eurofins also provides testing services for halal products.
Through our network we are able to provide the largest testing capacity (over a thousand samples per day) and shortest turn-around-time (same-day rush service possible) of any independent food testing service provider.
The Eurofins Advantage
- Eurofins laboratory is accredited, certified & recognized by BIS, NABL, FSSAI and APEDA
- Competence Centres with state-of-the-art equipment such as high-resolution GC, HPLCs, GCMSMS, FTIR, ELISA, HR-MS, GC-MS, HPLC, LC-MS/MS, ICP-MS, Real-time PCR and NMR systems
- Fast turn-around time (TAT)
- Local contact with a Global Network
- Participation in industry associations and regulatory bodies allowing early advice on potential food scares and legal obligations
- Expert advice - testing schemes, on-site-check for hygiene and allergens, labelling advice and traceability
- Results you can rely on
- International presence